Millar Western’s Whitecourt Wood Products Division is seeking Forestry Supervisors to join our team.
The Forestry Supervisor will work as part of a team responsible for conducting sustainable forest management operations, including the safe, timely and cost-efficient delivery of logs and fibre to our lumber, pulp and specialty wood products facilities. Responsibilities will vary depending on individual qualifications, but may include:
• coordination of harvesting, log haul, and log loading.
• implementation of planting, site preparation, regeneration survey, stand tending and pre-commercial thinning operations
• coordination of growth and yield programs
• supervision of road reclamation activities
• budgeting and forecasting;
• annual and five-year development plans;
• ensuring operations are carried out in an environmentally sensitive manner, in accordance with sustainable forest management practices.
The ideal candidate
Ideal applicants will have a post-secondary education in forestry, combined with silviculture and/or operations experience. Candidates must be eligible for registration with the Association of Alberta Forest Management Professionals (AAFMP). Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential. Successful candidates will require the ability to work cooperatively with contractors and stakeholders, in addition to working independently in a field environment.
Why work for us?
Millar Western is a privately-owned, Alberta-based company that has been active in the forest products business for more than a century. Operating high-tech lumber and pulp mills supplied by woodlands teams recognized for leadership in sustainable management, the company provides stable, full-time employment to more than 700 people at operations located in lively, friendly, communities providing an excellent quality of life. The company offers:
• a highly competitive wage and benefits program including a pension plan, comprehensive dental and health insurance and a profit-sharing plan
• a commitment to the highest safety standards, with a safety program recognized under initiatives such as Partners in Injury Reduction, Work Safe Alberta and the Premier’s Award for Healthy Workplaces
• a collaborative and respectful work environment that values the skills of our people and encourages them to take on new challenges and advance within the organization
• a chance to live where you work – no commuting or camps.
This position is located in the town of Whitecourt, Alberta, a vibrant community 170 kilometres northwest of Edmonton, offering excellent housing, educational and recreational opportunities.
Learn more about what our silviculture and operations supervisors do here: